Wednesday, August 15, 2007

June 2007

I know! It’s been ages since I updated the blog. Sorry about that. No excuses, just me being lazy! But here goes…

June 2007:
Talk about a busy month. We had our first baby shower, painted the room, had more doctor appointments in Peoria (and learned the sexes of the babies) and built our first crib!

On June 6th, my wonderful friends from work threw me a baby shower. There were about 12 people from work there and both grandmas-to-be and my aunt Denna. It was held at the Avanti’s in East Peoria in a nice and private banquet room. We played a few games including “Guess what’s in the bag”, “Guess the baby food” and a match game, matching animals to the names of their offspring (ex. a dog has puppies).

That's Jennifer and Lauren - the hostesses of the party. Thanks again ladies!!!
We also played a version of Bingo while I opened gifts. Participants filled out a bingo card with items they thought I would open. The gifts were wonderful. It definitely started the babies off in style!

And then there was cake… you can’t forget the cake!

Thanks again to everyone who was able to come and for all the awesome loot!!!

When Adam got back from Denver (where he presented a session at Special Libraries Association’s annual conference on Knowledge Management and Corporate Libraries), we began to prep the babies’ room. We found a border we liked with moons and stars, and of course the picture in the catalog looked so nice, we tried to replicate it. We painted the top half of the room blue and the bottom half pale yellow with the border in the middle separating the colors. I also got the crib set and valances to match.

Now all we needed was furniture. The first crib arrived about a week later and we put it together (group projects are fun). Some of you may know this about me, but when I get warm/hot, I get, well… a bit pissy (or as Adam might say, the bitch-craft is turned to eleven). Let’s just say the room got a little hot while we were building. I realize it isn’t the screw’s fault for not being in the right slot, but that didn’t make me any happier at the time. Thankfully, the crib went together without too much problem (and Adam brought a fan in to cool me off). Now the nursery is ready for 3 little babies to come home to. They will all stay in the same crib for the first few months. Eventually we’ll add the other two cribs, but for now the room has one crib, a glider/rocking chair and a changing table/dresser. Hopefully that will get us by for the first 6-9 months!


June 11th - Peoria doctor appointment: More baby scans in Peoria. This time we remembered to bring a video tape but without the narration of the sono tech, it’s hard to tell what we’re seeing! All babies measured right at 18 wks (which is where we expected them to be). They were about 8 ounces and had heart rates in the 130s. They were all being very active, but they were able to tell the sexes… ALL BOYS!! Both mom and babies were doing well on all measurements. We also met with a pre-term labor nurse who gave us all types of information about how to identify pre-term labor and what to do if I started to feel contractions. She also mentioned I should be drinking at least a gallon of water a day. No wonder I have to pee all the time!! Two weeks and we’d have another sono and bed rest would begin.

The Friday before Adam’s birthday, we both took a half day and got massages. It was Adam’s first time and I’m pretty sure he enjoyed it. I got the pre-natal massage (where I lay primarily on my sides since I can’t lay on my stomach). I don’t know what it is about pre-natal massages, but it makes the masseuse very talkative. I just wanted it to be quiet and relaxing, but no such luck. But, a massage is still a massage, which is nice. We followed our massages with a happy hour with friends to celebrate Adam’s birthday and new position in the library. The next day we celebrated Adam’s birthday, Audrey & David’s Anniversary and Father’s Day with family at our house.

We also checked out a couple of local day care centers. Both of the ones we looked at were very nice (but very pricy). Basically, we’ll spend more each year on day care than we did on the new van we bought. We ended up buying a 2007 Toyota Sienna. Not quite the sports car, but a nice ride (that fits 3 car seats). Now we can get the babies home from the hospital!

We had our 20 week doctor appointment over in Peoria – ½ way there!!! This time we went to the offices at OSF St. Francis, the hospital we will most likely deliver at. They scanned all the babies, but they did not do actual measurements. They said that their machines have a variance factor so if they measure to close together, they may not get an accurate picture. For example, it may look like the babies are shrinking. Again, all babies looked good with healthy heart rates and good fluid levels (something they’ll watch, especially on the twins). As she was scanning baby B, it felt like my stomach was growling, only the feeling was right under her scanning tool (B is on my left side). I was actually feeling the baby move for the first time (or at least I was able to identify that is what I was feeling). Over the next few days, I felt the grumbling/rumbling more often and for all the babies.

As my time at work got shorter, my friends and co-workers took me out for “going away” lunches. Again, more cool gifts for the boys (they are already so spoiled and they aren’t even out yet!). One awesome thing my friends did was decorate some onesies. It seems the reserved a conference room one day over lunch and had a little art session. The onesies were so cool that we used them as decorations at the shower the following weekend in Decatur (more pictures of that in the next blog entry). I have such great friends and co-workers. I’m very lucky!! I’m going to miss them all when I go on bed rest!

See – I told you June was a busy month! Check back soon for more updates! I promise to be timelier!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The babies' room turned out really cute!

I hope you're following doctor's orders and taking it easy. Take care!