Tuesday, October 2, 2007

In the Hospital

We had our doctor appointment at Maternal Fetal in Peoria today. This time mom came with me to see the sonos (and so Adam can save his vacation time for when the boys are here). Everything on the sonos looked good. With so much baby in there, it’s harder and harder to tell individual babies from one another. We couldn’t see faces very well as they were all intermingled with each other. The good news is that we have 3, 4 1/2 pound boys squirming around. The bad news is that my cervix is shortening even more. The “trap door” is still closed, but it isn’t as thick of a door to get through! The doctor, of course, was concerned about the shortening, so they put me on a monitor at the doctor’s office to see if I was contracting. No contractions, but he still wanted to admit me to the hospital. Mom brought me over and we got all settled in. They put me on monitors to track the babies’ heart rates and to check again for contractions. After being on the monitor for about 30 minutes, they said I had had 5 contractions in 15 minutes. They were very mild, short contractions and I could hardly tell I was having them.

Since the doctor would like for us to get to at least 34 weeks, they started giving me Magnesium Sulfate to stop the contractions. They also gave me a steroid injection to help stimulate the babies’ lung development (just in case). Now they will monitor the babies’ heart rates and my contractions daily. The average delivery of triplets is between 32 and 34 weeks and we’re at 33. Everyone at the hospital was saying “Wow – we can’t believe you’ve made it this long. That’s awesome!”

No comments: