Monday, September 22, 2008

Congratulations! You’re a parent. Now what?

Babies are popping out everywhere lately. Many of the couples Tiffany & I know have recently had or are preparing to have their first children. This, combined with the fact that the boys are celebrating their first birthday next month, has caused me to reflect on my experiences over the last year. Specifically, I’m still stunned by how jarring and dramatic and significant becoming a parent really is.

Most people spend nine months preparing for their new arrival. Like many, I read a variety of books, articles, and web sites on tutorials. Tiffany & I also prepared a physical area for the boys. And then, literally in the space of a single moment, you go from just being “you” to also being Dad (or Mom).

I remember this moment distinctly in the operating as I heard Alex’s first cries followed by Logan and Nick. It was triggered by the thought “So… now what?”

All of the reading and physical preparation doesn’t really prepare you for the emotional and psychological magnitude of event. It’s more than just adjusting to a new schedule, learning new skills, and engaging in new activities. There is a change in who you are, your fundamental being, that is more sudden and has more gravity than most other experiences that have changed your life.

One minute you’re not a parent and the next minute you are. And your life is opened to a new world filled with wonder and terror... Good Luck!!!

No comments: