Saturday, April 12, 2008

Almost 24 whole hours!

Last weekend we spent almost 24 hours apart from the boys! We took the boys to Decatur to spend the day with Grandma and Grandpa while Adam and I gamed with some friends. I met mom half way between Decatur and Bloomington for the switch off. Again, we had the van packed very full with any toy combination the boys might want/need. It seems I over-pack as a habit! The boys had a good time in Decatur. My aunt Barb was there to help out since mom was technically on-call for work. They also had visits from Vickie and Chloe and Grandpa Brandy and Ruth. The video of Alex and the Giraffe (from the previous post) was from their time in Decatur.

The plan was for the boys to eat at 5:00 as usual and then pack up and head back home. Unfortunately, when I called to confirm the drop-off time, mom had just got a call from the hospital and had to go in. Plans changed to pick them up after the 8:30 feeding. Of course, the whole time, mom kept hinting that if the boys were to stay down there, we could get a whole night of sleep without listening for babies - or the morning feeding. At first we were resistant to her temptations. But, we finally gave in to the dark side and agreed to let the boys stay overnight.

Of course, they did fine. We weren't too bad either. (We actually got sleep - straight-through-the-night sleep without pacifier checks!) It was just like life before kids... Adam fell asleep and I stayed up late catching up on TV. But, we missed the boys. The plan was to meet mom again half way after their 9 am feeding (then she got me to agree to let them go to church with her). I surprised them and showed up at church. I got there after mass had started and had a hard time finding them. Didn't figure it should be that hard. We take up a whole row with the three car seats. Plus, Brandon went with her to help and he's usually tall enough to see in a crowd. I never thought to look in the very first pew! Seems it was all that was available when they got there. The boys were very good through church, so it was all fine.

When I finally got them home, both Adam and I were very happy to have them back. The universe seemed to be back to normal again. All was well. It was nice to have a night "away", but it's nice to have the boys back too.

Here's a picture from last week and a picture from when they were first born (their first picture together). Nick is along the top and Alex and Logan are on bottom (from left to right)...


5 comments:

Derek Kohlhagen said...

Ha...that's awesome...I think you need to do the same picture every year with the same arrangement!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

that is so wonderful that you got some time to yourselves! and a whole, entire night of sleep - how lovely!

i cannot believe how big they are getting! they are so stinkin' cute!

Unknown said...

See, you need more nights of them staying and Grandma and Grandpa's!!! Happy 6 months olds guys, Love, Grandama Carol

Lauren said...

Happy 6 month birthday Alex, Logan & Nick!

I love the slideshow of pictures - very cute! Brian likes the superbaby picture ;)

Aar-R said...

Nice to see the boys. I am also an expectant father of triplets. Wife is not with me right now. She is back in India with her parents. Today she went to the doctor and told me that everything is fine. I am so happy but missing it all. Its a kind of exitement and a little tension too. Hope things turn out good.
Once again very happy to see your boys.